Key West is known for sandy beaches, sunny skies, and crystal blue waters. Go scuba diving to see what lies beneath the water’s surface or spend the day at the beach. However, there’s more to this island, and it’s all just waiting for you to discover it. When you stay at Southernmost Inn, you’ll be close to everything that makes this island a popular vacation destination. Key West is known for key limes, and the staple dessert of Key West, FL is the key lime pie. Treat yourself on your vacation and stop by the best bakeries and pie shops to try one for yourself.
The Top 5 Spots to Get Key Lime Pie
Key Lime pie originated in Key West sometime in the late 19th century. While this custard-based dessert has grown in popularity across the country, you probably won’t find a better slice than on the island.
- Key Lime Pie Bakery: This local bakery is known for the fresh-baked key lime pies it prepares every day. Pick up a whole pie for the group, or enjoy just a slice for one. You can also pick up some souvenirs to remember your visit while you’re there.
- Kermit’s Key West Lime Shoppe: Stop by one of the two shops to find all things lime. Grab a pie bar, which is a slice of key lime pie on a stick dipped in chocolate, a whole pie, and a variety of other lime-related products.
- Key Lime Pie Co: The recipe used at his pie shop has been in the family for decades. Not only can you purchase the pie and pie bars they are known for, but you can also take a class to make your own mini-pie.
- Old Town Bakery: Find out for yourself why this bakery was voted as having the best key lime pie in the Keys by the Miami New Times. Add a sandwich to your order, and you’ll have the perfect picnic lunch, complete with a delicious dessert.
- Mattheessen’s Candy Kitchen: There’s more to this sweet shop than cookies, ice cream, and fudge. Stop by for frozen key lime pie on a stick covered in Belgium dark chocolate, the ideal way to cool off during your adventure.
Book Your Tropical Escape at Southernmost Inn
Sampling key lime pie is a quintessential part of any Key West getaway. After satisfying your sweet tooth, unwind from your sugar rush back at Southernmost Inn. Our relaxing rooms at our historic inn near Duval Street are the perfect place to rest up before another day’s adventure. Make the most out of your stay by taking advantage of all our on-site amenities, including a pool, hot tub, and continental breakfast. To learn more about booking your stay or current special offers, please call 888-525-0037.