From sunny skies to crystal waters and sandy beaches, Key West is known as a tropical paradise, and for good reason. Almost no matter what time of year guests book their stay at Southernmost Inn, they can explore the beautiful nature surrounding the island. Spend time out on the water on a kayak rental or scuba diving. If you want to stay on dry land, explore the hiking and walking trails throughout Key West.
Where to Hike on Key West
Hiking in Key West is a great way to explore the island while taking in the picturesque scenery. Lace up your shoes, grab your camera and set off exploring.
- Located just off Key West on Stock Island is Key West Tropical Forest & Botanical Garden. With 15-acres of native garden and forest to explore, there is plenty of beauty to take in while walking along the nature trails.
- Dry Tortugas National Park is an excellent option for those looking for a day trip as it’s only accessible by boat or seaplane. Popular trails at the park include Fort Jefferson Loop and Bush Key Trail.
- Hike the Tropical Hammock Trail at Fort Zachary Taylor State Park to learn about native plants on the island. Once you’ve finished that trail, take in views of the 19th-century fort on the Fort view nature trail.
- The Key West Nature Preserve might be one of the best-kept secret places to hike. Located at the south end of White Street, this is a great spot to enjoy a bit of peace during your vacation. There is a quarter-mile trail to the beach, and the area is home to a variety of Key West wildlife.
- Several parks throughout the island have great hiking and nature paths as well. Sonny McCoy Indigenous Park has a great wildlife trail that takes you through the native bird and tree park. Follow the boardwalk and footpath at Little Hamaca Park to explore falt flats and a mangrove forest.
If you’re looking for more of an industrial walk, check out the City Walk, which is a 7.6 mile out and back trail that takes you throughout the island.
Book Your Tropical Escape at Southernmost Inn
From exploring hiking trails to relaxing on the beach, there’s plenty of ways to soak in the sunshine during your Key West getaway at Southernmost Inn. This historic Key West inn, located in Old Town Key West, is the perfect place to relax after a day spent exploring the island, whether unwinding in your cozy room or lounging poolside. Don’t forget to fuel up at our continental breakfast before setting off for the day. To learn more about our accommodations or special offers, call 888-525-0037.